Hello, Assalamualaikum everyone, today I'd love to share with you guys about Dysthymia. I'll talk about it based on what I've understood. Of course, it won't be a wronged info, I was diagnosed with it. So I'd love to discover it.
9 TYPES OF DEPRESSIONS
- Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Postpartum Depression
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Psychotic Depression
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Destructive Mood Dysregulation Disorder
- Substance/Medication-Induced Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder (BP)
So, for today, I'd share with you guys about Dysthymia and MDD since both of them are kinda related. For bipolar disorder, I'll share with you next time. The rest, I'm not sure when will I share, since I don't know much about it, but I'll try my best to share with you!
DYSTHYMIA
A form of continuous long-term (chronic) depression. Patients may lose interest in regular daily activities, feeling discouraged, less productive, and inferior and inadequate feelings. This feeling lasts for years and may disturb your relationship, school, work and your daily activities significantly. Dysthymia is typically defined as a chronic but less severe form of major depression. It has many similar symptoms to other forms of clinical depression.
MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER
Depression, known as major depressive disorder (MDD), is a common medical illness that negatively impacts the way you think, feels, and acts. This may lead to emotional and physical problems that can interfere with your ability to function at home and work.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DYSTHYMIA AND MDD
- PDD is used to describe a person who experiences clinically significant depression over a long period of time.
- The level of depression is usually not severe enough to meet the criteria for MDD.
- People with MDD have a normal mood baseline when they're not experiencing depression.
- People with PDD experience depression all the time and don't remember or know what it feels like not to be depressed.
- For a diagnosis of MDD, symptoms must last at least 2 weeks.
- For a diagnosis of PDD, symptoms must have been present for at least 2 years.
DYSTHYMIA SYMPTOMS VS MDD SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of MDD and PDD are basically the same, sometimes differing in intensity. They include:
- Feeling sad, empty, tearful or hopeless
- Responding to even small matters with anger or frustration
- Losing interest in normal daily activities such as sports, sex or hobbies
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Responding to even small tasks with a lack of energy
- Losing appetite or increasing food cravings
- Losing or gaining weight
- Feeling guilty or worthless
- Having trouble making decisions, thinking, concentrating and remembering
To oversimplify, the symptoms of Dysthymia might be less intense or debilitating, but they're continuous and long-lasting.
DOUBLE DEPRESSION
Even though Dysthymia and MDD are separate conditions, people can have them both at the same time. If you’ve had PDD for a number of years and then have a major depressive episode, this is referred to as a double depression.
Be gentle with yourself, dear 😘

0 comments:
Post a Comment